In the AV landscape, the most popular speakers systems include the 2-way and 3-way types. These terms designate the number of speakers presented in a monitor. These speakers result in more defined sound experiences. They usually have various sound wave degrees, which range from high and low degrees.
Everyone has their taste and preferences about the kind of sounds to listen to. Some individuals love customized sounds, while others hardly bother with the sounds. Such lack knowledge on sound qualities or rather frequencies and instead concentrate volume. Others focus on the lowness and highness of the basses to make it all way comfortably.
Two way vs. three-way speakers
Each speaker type is usually equipped with distinct features. A 2-way speaker is featured with two speakers that provide discrete frequencies. The three-way speaker type has three speakers. These speakers deliver separate frequency ranges from low, mid-range, and high frequencies.
The two-way speaker usually has the woofer and tweeter types of drivers. The woofer is built for low-frequency sounds. On the other hand, the tweeter is considered for high-frequency sounds. A 3-way speaker usually has tweeter, woofer, and midrange drivers. Each has a specific range of sounds.
The three-way is optimized to run in a specific sound range, producing clearer and fuller sound. Having an extra speaker does not make the three-way speaker consistently the best. However, considering the following factors will help you in acquiring the best speaker system;
- The quality of the speaker components.
- How the crossover is set up to split different audible frequencies.
- The general design of your cabinet.
- Whether the system matches with the correct features.
- Optimizing the system by testing to get the best speaker performance
- The quality of sound produced.
You may also be interested to read about Connecting XBOX 360 Controller Without The Receiver.
A) Two-way speaker system
It is easy to identify a two-way speaker from a variety of speakers. We’ve seen that they have two distinct parts and produce two bass and high frequencies.
Advantages of a two-way speaker system
- Articulates vocals better
Two-way speakers are powered by processors that maximize the low and high frequencies. Here, most vocals are found and are thus boosted by the frequencies. These speakers do not produce high bass, which might be uncomfortable.
- It is much simpler to install two-way speakers.
Most individuals prefer fixing the speakers by themselves. There is usually a DIY installation manual or a guide available for installation. One should use the correct installation tools where required. This helps in avoiding maintenance costs.
Using the correct tool will maintain the speaker components; screws. Thus, the speaker will last longer.
- Have better clarity
Aftermarket 2-way speakers produce very clear from the way they are designed. This helps in solving problems associated with the stock speakers. Many speakers are made from cheaper materials, prone to damage easily.
- They are a more cheap upgrade.
Two-way speakers are produced with fewer materials, thus lowering the selling price. The speakers will fit in the cabinet and still have better audio.
Disadvantages of a two-way speaker
- They produce a less bass sound – The two-way is limited in making a quality bass sound. The crossover versions available in this type of speaker system cause this limitation. The crossovers have connectors instead of equalizers.
- They can only feature two frequencies- As we have seen, the two-way speakers only produce two frequencies. One is not able to enjoy the mid-range frequency since it is unavailable. Your music might not be pleasing due to the absence of this frequency.
B) Three-way speaker system
Incredible loud music will surely relieve your stress and lower your blood pressure. The three-way speaker is customized to produce the best quality music. One will be satisfied playing music on this speaker type. Modern three-way speakers are more advanced with frequency crossovers.
Advantages of the three-way speaker system
i) Easy to maintain- It is easier to rectify an issue on the three-way speaker. On becoming faulty, frequency regulations can be made. Limiting the frequencies eliminates the expenses of acquiring a new speaker. It is thus cheaper to correct a problem compared to buying a new one.
ii)Listeners have control over output– 3-way speaker systems are mostly preferred since they are customized. One has control over the sound produced. You can decide on which frequency to play your audio. Stock speakers are customized; hence one cannot regulate their output.
iii) Produces better audio than other speakers- The feeling of listening to balanced audio will be the best. Quality music from a three-way speaker system takes care of your ears. A better bass, clear midrange, and a balanced tweeter produces ‘richer’ audio.
Disadvantages of a three-way speaker
- It is expensive compared to the two-way speaker- a well-built three-way speaker will cost the stock and two-way speakers. This is due to the quality output produced by these speakers. Thus, regardless of the high cost, its price is justified. Installation experts claim high payments to fix or install the speakers.
- Consume more power- stock and two-way speakers are designed to consume less power. Crossovers in the three-way speakers come separately; hence end up consuming more power. These speakers usually have varied voltage consumption, which may not be optimized.
- Have an indirect installation- Most three-way speakers have varying sizes. Thus, the speakers might not fit in your designed dome theatre. One might be forced to buy extra brackets to hold the speakers. It can result in further destruction of your theatre trying to them.
Acquiring a two-way speaker system for your home theatres is like opting for a balanced sound. It creates a positive experience as one enjoys a balanced sound from the tweeter and woofer. Music selections with a lower bass will perfectly play in the two-way speaker system. The sound produced by this speaker system is comforting and unique.
One can thus get themselves a system they best feel can satisfy their need for music. The financial choice will now be a decision to the buyer of the system. Each of the speakers has better qualities; thus, it’s easier to make the best choice.
In this video, is reviewed the differences between a two way and a three way speaker system, including size, power handling, application, cost and level of complexity.